Once they had eaten the Dragon Master assembled outside the house to talk and decide who would do what; they decided that it was best if they spoke to the Elders before going to collect the child. They enjoyed the last of the sun before retiring to their rooms for the night. As Chenyo lay upon his bed he thought back to when he had been collected by Dragon Master, he had never had a dragon but was raised as an apprentice. There hadn’t been dragons in Skyeyla in millennia it was going to be a big change that would cause unrest across the world, but it they got rid of the Invaders they would be accepted if not loved. Drifting off to sleep Chenyo slept soundly to awake before the sun rose. He dressed in his robes and left his hood down; he collected his meagre belongings and met the others and set off towards the Elder Council which was at least a half a day’s walk. They decided they would stop here before beginning the journey into Mage territory. As they moved through the colony past the brown buildings and red earth they saw children running to and fro shifting quickly. They stopped to stare at the strange people walking through their colony, several ran up and followed the Dragon Masters until they were called back by family members. Chenyo and the other Masters walked in silence until they came to the centre of the colony.
“I will make our presence known to the Elders,” Chenyo said. “Find a place to stay and meet me back here.” He left and entered the Elders Council building; he was greeted by one of the Elders who had their hood down. Chenyo lowered his hood and inclined his head after the Elder bowed; he was ushered through to the chambers of one of the Elders.
“I see you knew we were here.” Chenyo said simply.
“Yes, Dragon Master Chenyo. We were alerted to your presence so we could make your trip as smooth as possible.” He nodded and sat in the chair that was offered to him.
“As you know I am here about the child. What is his name?” He begun, looking at each of them.
“Her name is Mycah, she’s a five year old orphan and she has control over all Magics, it seems.”
“I see. I would like to collect her now.” He said with a nod; Chenyo stood and was walked to the door by one of the Elders and collected by one of the colony officials who lead him to the orphanage where he was met by Orphan Mistress Elys.
“Welcome,” Elys said as she greeted him outside the orphanage. “I am Orphan Mistress Elys. I assume you are here to see Mycah.”
“I am Dragon Master Chenyo and yes, I am here to see Mycah.” He said with a smile as Elys bought him inside.
“Lux, bring Mycah please.” She called up the stairs,
“Yes, Miss” was the quiet response. Moments later Chenyo saw a girl with a shock of bring red hair come down the stairs with a small flailing child over her shoulder. She suddenly dropped to her knees holding her head, she yelped and shifted pouncing on her as she attempted to make her escape. “Stay!” she said forcefully as she shifted back. “Just stay put, Mycah.” The child snarled angrily her amber eyes stuck on Chenyo.
“Hello, Mycah.” He said telepathically to her, he watched as some of the anger left her as she listened to his voice. “I do not wish to hurt you, I am simply here because you have a gift that could defend our world and keep your friends safe from the Invaders.” He motioned for Lux to let go of her and she moved towards him.
“You would know if I meant to hurt you, Mycah” he said allowed. “I am certain you would be able to feel it, like you could in the Ring.” She nodded.
“Do I have to go with you?” she asked quietly, her voice soft and lilting.
“I’m afraid so,” Chenyo said. “But you won’t be alone, I’m collecting two other people with abilities today too. They’re both eight years old and boys, but I’m sure you can put them in their place” he finished with a wink. She giggled and he laughed with her. “Come, we must go and meet the other Dragon Masters.” He stood and reached out his hand which she took with a smile.
Mycah, Sorrel, Dio and the three dragons decided to go on a trek into the forest, with Chenyo’s permission of course. They set off heading South East and met few animals on their travels; they spent the majority of the time playing around with magic and catching each other out with practical jokes. Mycah was currently winning as she had twice knocked both the boys flying with a well timed movement of wind and drenched them both when they bent down to drink. They walked along a track which twisted and turned, not paying much attention to where they were going as they were running around joking. Raffy, Red and Loki were in the trees running from branch to branch, they’re tails whipping from side to side to balance them. They dropped down, gliding like Mycah had taught Raffy landing silently and tucking their wings back across their backs. Mycah suddenly stopped;
“I can hear someone...people” she said frowning.
“Oh yeah, I bet,” joked Sorrel. She held up a hand to stop him.
“I’m being serious, be quiet. Something is wrong.” She cast a glance at the dragons who had frozen and were looking around trying to find the people they could sense.
In a flurry of activity a group of men burst from the undergrowth, pointing things at them; Sorrel stepped towards one and recoiled with a scream of pain and a loud bang. He clutched his shoulder and lifted his hand to show blood.
“Mycah,” he said panic clear in his voice. She connected her mind with his and Dio’s;
“You need to get out of here with the Dragons. Tell Red and Loki to go, now!” All three dragons pushed off the ground, their claws digging into the soft earth; they disappeared in seconds leaving the men shouting and waving the weapons around wildly. “Keep them away. They are Invaders.” She stated. One of them stepped towards her.
“Who are you? What is your business?” His voice angry yet wary.
“My business? This is my land, I don’t need business.” She linked her mind with his and listened intently.
“Breathe. Hold on, Sorrel.” She said to them. “This is worse than I thought, they want to capture us” she informed them. Another one stepped forwards and swung a fist a Mycah, who ducked under it easily and sent a wall of air straight at him sending him into a tree with a whoosh of air. Swinging low, she dropped below the weapon of another man; with a well aimed kick she sent him sprawling backwards. She heard the bang of a weapon discharging and heard Dio’s cry of pain; she let loose a primal scream and dropped to her knees driving her fist into the ground. The earth rippled out around her as they hit Sorrel and Dio they shimmered out of existence; Mycah toppled over sideways her eyes rolling back in her head and everything went black.
Back at the Dragon Centre, there was a loud crack and the ground rippled underfoot as Sorrel and Dio appeared before Chenyo in the Dojo. Raffy, Red and Loki barrelled into the Dojo seconds later.
“Where’s Mycah?” Raffy and Chenyo said in unison.
“I don’t know,” stuttered Dio. “I don’t know how we got here.”
“Tell me exactly what happened.” Chenyo ordered as he summoned apprentices who specialised in healing. Dio was clutching his side, blood pulsing through his fingers his face getting paler. “Sit, Dio.”
“I don’t think I can,” he groaned, he looked over at Sorrel who was laying on his back his hand pressed tightly to his left shoulder; his face a grimace of pain. The healers arrived and quickly set to work dealing the damage to the muscles and tendons in Sorrel’s shoulder and the organ damage and broken ribs in Dio’s side. Both writhed in pain as the magic did its work.
“You will have a scar, our magic cannot cover these wounds completely.” One of the apprentices said as she left.
“Thank you,” they both said gratefully.
“Now, tell me what happened, quickly.” Chenyo said, flicking his eyes towards Raffy who was pacing, his tail thrashing angrily. “Where is Mycah?”
“We were following a trail, we must have gone closer to the Invaders Hold than we thought. We were ambushed, one of them hurt Sorrel and then one of them tried to hit Mycah but she attacked him and the next guy that went for her. Then I got hurt and then Mycah...screamed and suddenly we were here.” Dio said, his voice shaking.
“She screamed?” He asked frowning. “Where is she now?”
“Yes and I don’t know. There was just a light and then here. I don’t know where she is.” Chenyo turned to Raffy.
“Can you sense her?” Raffy connected his mind to Chenyo’s.
“She is not conscious. I can feel her but not contact her. I think the Invaders have her.” He extended his neck and released a snarl which echoed around the Dojo causing Sorrel, Dio and Chenyo to cover their ears with their hands.
No comments:
Post a Comment